What is CrossFit Metropolis?
CrossFit Metropolis is a small-group and personal training facility located on the ground floor at 156 East 100th Street (just off Lexington Ave.) on the Upper East Side in Manhattan. We follow the training methodologies of CrossFit and focus on basic gymnastics, powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting and metabolic conditioning. We are a tight-knit community of dedicated, hard-working, “everyday” folks in pursuit of innovative, effective and fun ways to achieve fitness.
CrossFitters come from all walks of life but tend to have the following in common:
- They are curious and enjoy learning new things.
- They push themselves to ever greater accomplishments.
- They are humble.
If this sounds like your type of crowd, then come join us. Please email us at email@example.com to find out how to get started. Register for our Free Sunday Trial:
*Come by for our free Trial Session, Sundays at 9am. *
What makes CrossFit Metropolis Different?
1) Coaching – we believe in Coaching. CrossFit is a high-skill endeavor and attentive, experienced Coaching makes a difference. Here at Metropolis, all sessions are run by Coaches with a minimum of 2 years of coaching experience; you won’t find interns, or new recruits running the show. We work to keep class sizes smaller and manageable to maintain a high level of Coach/Athlete contact. We are technically oriented and strive to achieve “virtuosity” of movement; all while having fun in a positive and supportive environment. Our proudest moments are turning a fearful member’s ”I can’t do that” into a new achievement and “Wow, I just Did that”. Our goal is simple: to facilitate a world class CrossFit experience and build a safe and enjoyable community of kind, hard working souls.
Head Coach Brendan Gilliam has been training and coaching CrossFit since inception. Originally from Santa Cruz, Brendan started his CrossFit career training under Greg Glassman, founder of CrossFit, and traveling the globe as part of Glassman’s Certification and training staff. Since those early days, Brendan has successfully owned and operated 2 affiliates in CA and VA before moving to NYC and joining the Metropolis team. Brendan’s passion for all things CrossFit runs deep and broad and his level of experience is unmatched. There are only a handful of trainers that can trace their experiences directly back to the founder of CrossFit and the original gym in Santa Cruz; CrossFit Metropolis is fortunate to have one of those few in Brendan Gilliam.
2) Community: we believe in Community. We are not just a gym. We spend time together, we become friends. We push and support each other. We are NOT JUST A GYM! At Metropolis, you will find yourself in the comfort of friends who will support you and hold you accountable to attend and perform. Your peers will push you and inspire you beyond your limits to success, both in the gym and out. And you will make friends along the way.
3) Competition – we believe in Competition. Nothing brings out the best in human capacity like competition and performance. Our greatest achievements occur on stage, on the field, on the podium; under the lights, in front of the crowd, in the moment. We believe in competition, both as a test for proof of our progress and also as a means to motivate us to greater achievements. At CrossFit Metropolis we hold quarterly in-house friendly team competitions to bring the spirit of teamwork and competition to center stage. We participate in the CrossFit Open, and we routinely perform competition style work-outs as part of regular programming. We support and encourage members to form teams and compete at area sporting events of all kinds. Nothing beats the adrenaline rush, the camaraderie, and amazing performances that arise in a competitive setting.
What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide, and thousands of dedicated “everyday” folks in search of a better fitness model.
Our program delivers a fitness that is, by design, broad, general, and inclusive. Our specialty is not specializing. Combat, survival, many sports, and life reward this kind of fitness and, on average, punish the specialist.
The CrossFit program is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. The same routines are used for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. Load and intensity are scaled but the program stays the same. The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree not kind.
Thousands of athletes worldwide are following the CrossFit program and have distinguished themselves in combat, the streets, the ring, stadiums, gyms and homes.